Happy New Year, everyone!
I know I said this last week, but I cannot believe how quickly 2015 flew by. I can remember New Year’s 2015 like it was yesterday, and somehow suddenly we’re already into 2016. It’s crazy!
Looking back at the place I was in going into 2015, I realise so much has changed in just a year. I didn’t know it then, but I had so many exciting things to look forward to, not least of which was an enormous amount of growth and recovery. Sure, there were setbacks, and sometimes long periods where I didn’t feel well at all. But I’ve learnt that that is what recovery is all about. I’ve learnt to expect the setbacks and the speed bumps, and to forgive myself when they happen. I’m now equipped with a strong set of survival skills for getting through the times when my anxiety gets bad, and I know how to pick myself up once I’ve made it through.
For my first post of 2016 I want to do something that is maybe a little bit clichéd, and that is to share my “new year’s resolutions” with you guys. I’ve been writing down personal goals around New Year’s for a couple of years now. In both 2014 and 2015 I was pleasantly surprised to look back on the lists at the end of the year and see I’d actually achieved most of my goals. So this year I want to push myself a little bit harder, maybe a little bit further out of my comfort zone. I feel like I’ve proved my mettle to myself now, and I’ve got a lot of hope for 2016. I’m excited to see the places I can go if I put my mind to it and work hard at work worth doing.
My Goals for 2016
- To make my physical fitness a top priority. This means working out (properly!) at least four times a week, even when I don’t feel like it. I want to develop the discipline and commitment needed to go to the gym/go for a walk/do my pilates even when the weather is horrible or I’m really not in the mood.
- To eat less shitty food. My body deserves better than that.
- To work harder than I ever have in my last semester of undergrad, and to find something I like about all of my courses. I know I am good at hard work and capable of achieving high grades, but 2016 is the year to take it to the next level and push myself to do better than just ‘good enough’.
- To visit at least one place I have never been before. (If this means travelling overseas, then so be it!)
- To do everything in my power to not just survive winter in 2016, but to make it a good experience. Last winter I was severely seasonally affected (read: pretty depressed throughout the whole damn season). This year I intend to do everything I can to avoid a repeat of that experience.
- To be better at friendships. This is in bold because in 2015 I was, for the most part, extraordinarily bad at keeping up with most of my friends. So, in 2016, I want to make time for the people I love: I want to be better at texting back, making and keeping to plans for catching up, and to just generally spend more time getting out and doing things with people whose company I enjoy.
- To make new friends. This means being brave and talking to strangers!
- To upload a video to my YouTube channel every Friday.
- To be tidier and more organised in my everyday life. Also to get rid of all the crap I don’t need or use.
- To enjoy the summer months while they’re here, do summer things like going to the beach and drinking with friends, and make the most of the beautiful warm weather.
- To face my fears and do the things that scare me, or that make me anxious. It’s time to prove to myself that most of the things that make me anxious actually won’t hurt me at all.
Iron Beth on YouTube
On a semi-related note, I thought that I would let you know that I posted my first weekly video over on my YouTube channel on Friday aka New Year’s Day. In 2015 I pissed around a bit on YouTube with creating videos, mostly makeup tutorials, and in the process I discovered that creating content on YouTube was actually something I really loved doing, so now it’s my new hobby.
I’ve set myself the goal of uploading a new video every Friday for a whole year – which, I know, is a lot of work. But I don’t care, because I’m so excited to get into it. That is, of course, in addition to writing a new blog post every Sunday at least until the first year anniversary of Iron Beth rolls around each month. After that, we’ll see.. But I can say that I honestly have loved maintaining this blog and the chances are high that weekly blog posts will continue on into 2016.
I’m very new to this whole YouTube thing, and I’m still testing the waters and figuring out what my “style” is gonna be, but I do know that I won’t just be making makeup videos – I love making those but I’ve got a bunch of other things I want to try as well. The plan is to create entertaining and/or helpful and/or educational content. But it’s exciting not knowing all the videos I’m going to be making.
I won’t be embedding my weekly YouTube videos into each weekly blog post. There will probably be exceptions to this rule, such as when it’s relevant or when I’ve created a video I’m especially proud of. This week is one such exception. For my first video of 2016 I filmed myself doing six things I’d never done before, and I’m pretty pleased with the outcome, so here it is for you to watch.
Please head on over to my YouTube channel and subscribe if you liked this video, or if you want to see more from me. I’d love it if you did!
Also, I’d love to hear some of your goals for the year to come, or what you’re excited for in 2016.
p.s. This is also my 50th post here on Iron Beth! How freaking cool is that! The time since my very first blog post seems to have absolutely flown by.